Adapted by Farmer Dave’s from The Healthy Home Economist
Makes about 2 quarts of soup
- 1-2 large or 3-4 medium sized organic eggplants or about 10 small Indian eggplants
- 2 cups tomato puree (buy in glass jars) or fresh tomatoes, pureed
- 1 large onion (white or spanish)
- 1-2 tablespoons butter, ghee, or olive oil for sauteeing
- 1 quart homemade chicken stock or store-bought chicken or vegetable broth
- 4 organic garlic cloves
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 cup additive free parmesan cheese (Italian brands seem to be best)
- Cultured cream or creme fraiche
- Sea salt
Slice eggplants in half and roast skin side up at 375F in expeller coconut oil, ghee, olive oil or sesame oil until tender (about 20 minutes). Scoop out roast eggplant and discard skin. Saute chopped onion in ghee or butter until slightly carmelized.
Add roasted eggplant, onion, tomato and garlic to chicken stock and simmer for 10 minutes. Add parmesan cheese and puree with a handheld blender until smooth. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve in bowls with cultured cream or creme fraiche.