Adapted by Farmer Dave’s from Show Me The Curry
This recipe is an excellent way to use a large amount of spinach!
- 16-24 ounces spinach, chopped and steamed
- 7 ounces paneer cheese
- 3 tbsp oil or butter
- 2 medium onions, minced
- 1″ piece of ginger, minced
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 large tomatoes, or one 14oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 tsp Garam Masala (a spice mixture that can be found at some grocery stores, specialty stores, and Indian grocery stores)
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1 tsp Coriander Powder
- Red Chili Powder – to taste
- Salt – to taste
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream, or to taste
- Milk – to taste (optional)
- Blend cooked Spinach to desired texture (avoid over-blending).
- Heat 2 tbsp Oil in a medium non-stick pan on high heat.
- Once Oil is hot, add in the minced Onions, stir, cover and let it cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add in the Ginger and Garlic and mix. Cook for another 4-5 minutes.
- Add in the Tomates, cover and cook till the oil seperates from the mixture.
- Keep stirring frequently as the Masala (Onion, Tomato, Ginger & Garlic mixture) tends to burn very fast.
- While the Masala is cooking, cube the paneer to desired size (1/2″ cubes work well).
- In a non-stick frying pan, heat the remaining 1 tbsp Oil.
- Once Oil is hot, add in the paneer cubes and let them cook till they are golden brown on all sides.
- Remove from the pan into a plate with paper towel to soak the excess oil.
- In a couple of minutes, pour the Paneer into a bowl of cold water. Let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, once the Masala is prepared, add in the mashed Spinach.
- Mix and add the Garam Masala, Cumin Powder, Coriander Powder, Salt, Chili Powder & Turmeric Powder.
- Mix well and cook for 3-5 minutes.
- Add in the desired amount of Cream and /or Milk. Mix and cook for another few minutes.
- Gently squeeze the water out of the Paneer and put the Paneer in the Spinach.
- Mix gently and serve hot.
- Serves 4 . Enjoy with Naan, Chapati, Paratha or Rice.
Want to a vegan version? Try this one, from Fat Free Vegan Kitchen.