Button Mushrooms and Greens
from Winter Foods by Brett Grohsgal & Julia Shanks
- 1 gallon pre-washed greens: kale, collards, swiss chard, bok choi or tatsoi
- 1/2 onion, sliced
- 1 pint button mushrooms (portobello or crimini would also work well), sliced 1/4 inch thick.
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus salt & pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Pre-blanch and shock greens: In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook greens until just wilted, approximately 1 minute and drain. Shock in an ice bath, and drain well.
- Coarsely chop greens if desired or leave whole
- In a large skillet, heat oil. Over medium high heat, cook onions and garlic until barely translucent. Add the mushrooms and continue cooking for 1 minute more, stirring often.
- Add white wine to mushroom pan and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add cream and continue cooking to reduce for 5 more minutes, until approximately 1 cup of liquid remains.
- Add the greens, stir well, adjust seasoning with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cook only until greens are heated through, about 30 seconds.