Kousa Squash Raisin Muffins
Submitted by CSA member, Karen M.
Makes approximately 21 muffins
- 1 cup raisins
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup skim milk
- 2 cups shredded kousa squash
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon each nutmeg, ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon each cardamom, allspice, mace, ginger
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line muffin cups with paper liners.
- Put raisins in a bowl and cover completely with water.
- Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add sugar and honey beating until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time beating until blended after each addition. Stir in vanilla.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, salt and spices and set aside.
- Alternately add flour mixture and milk to wet ingredients, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed until blended after each addition. Drain raisins. Fold raisins and kousa into batter.
- Spoon batter evenly into paper lined muffin cups. Bake 15-20 minutes or until golden and crackly on top. Remove from pan immediately, and cool on wire rack.