Grilled Eggplant & Tomato Stacks
from Eating Well
- 1 medium eggplant sliced into 1/2 inch rounds
- 6 teaspoons prepared pesto
- 2 large tomatoes cut into slices
- 4 oz mozzarella cut into thin slices
- fresh basil leaves
- olive oil
- coarse salt
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- freshly ground pepper
- Preheat grill to medium-high or place a grill pan over medium-high heat until hot
- Use 2 teaspoons oil to brush both sides of eggplant slices; sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Grill the eggplant slices for 5 minutes. Turn; continue grilling until tender and market with grill lines, 3 to 5 minutes more. Transfer to a large platter. (Can be made up to 1 day ahead)
- Spread each eggplant slice with 1 teaspoon pesto. Top with a slice of tomato, a slice of mozzarella and a basil leaf.
- Drizzle vinegar and the remaining 1 tablespoon oil over the towers; sprinkle with remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper.