Cranberry, Apple and Almond Quinoa
Made by Jo S. for the 2014 CSA Member Appreciation Potluck
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, washed well
- 1 Tablespoon + 1 teaspoon olive oil, divided
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups diced apple, not peeled
- ~20 almonds, toasted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 Tablespoon pure maple syrup
- Heat 1 Tablespoon olive oil in pan over medium heat. Add chopped onion, carrots and garlic and saute until the onion is translucent. Add broth, quinoa, salt and cinnamon and bring to boil. Reduce heat to simmer, cover and let sit for 20 minutes or until liquid is gone. Be sure to keep an eye on it and stir it often so it doesn’t burn. Remove from heat; stir to fluff.
- Meanwhile, heat oven to 350 degrees and toast almonds. Roughly chop toasted almonds.
- Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a nonstick pot or skillet. Add chopped apple and vanilla and saute for about 5 minutes until apple starts to turn golden in color but before it gets mushy. Add apple, almonds, cranberries ad pepper to quinoa and mix thoroughly. Serve hot or cold, as a main dish or a side with a protein source. Makes about 3-4 cups.