Adapted by Farmer Dave’s from Science of Mom
- 1 bunch golden beets
- 2 stems from broccoli, peeled
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground white pepper
- ½ cup red onions, sliced thinly
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Wrap beets in aluminum foil and roast for 1-1.5 hours. They are done when they are easily pierced with a fork or knife but should still be firm. (You can do this step way ahead of time. It’s easy to throw beets in the oven when you have it on for other purposes and then just keep the roasted beets in the fridge for a day or two until you’re ready to use them).
- When beets are cool, shred them through the large grater side of a box grater. Do the same with the broccoli stems.
- Slice the onions.
- Stir together the oil, vinegar, and sugar, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Toss together the dressing and the veggies. Chill in the fridge for at least an hour before serving. It is even better the next day.